Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Should I make a living will or appoint a power of attorney for health care before the birth of my child?

I'm 23 years old, about to give birth to my 3rd child. I got a huge packet of healthcare information from the hospital that I will be delivering at. The ones I am having a hard time with are the ilving will and power of attorney for healthcare. I understand that if something goes wrong the living will covers the specific directives as to to be taken by caregivers, or, in particular, in some cases forbidding treatment. Te power of attorney for health care appoints a person to direct health care decisions if im not in a state to do so on my own. Should I fill these out? I know my previous pregnancys have been fine with no complications, should I be worried about something going wrong with this one? Just curious if anyone else has had to fill out these documents before?|||I filled out both when I had arm surgery in 1999. I was completely healthy, but I wanted to make sure those decisions were made by me and expressed to my family before I had the operation just in case of emergency. I filled them out again when I had my first child because I had moved to another state. I filled them out for the same reason. I know it seems morbid, but you really never know what's going to happen. One of my friends just died after being in a coma for a week from a series of strokes he had. He was 30 years old and nobody knew what to do with his care in the hospital because he never told his family any of his wishes regarding these matters and it was horrible for them.|||Everyone should have an advanced directive for health care and a living will, whether or not they're about to go into the hospital. It just makes sense to have your wishes known in case of a tragedy. Terri Schiavo didn't have anything written.|||Are you married? At least in my state if you dont have a advanced derective the power of attorney is given to the spouse.|||Yes I have had to fill them all out. It isn't a scary thing ... yes it is hard to think that something "could possibly" go wrong ... but it is just a precaution ... wouldn't you hate for something to happen and your family not know what you wanted to be done. Not only did I have to fill those papers out for delivering my children ... I also had to do them again before I had surgery years later.





Relax ... everything is going to be fine. If you are that scarred you can say a prayer and talk to the man up stairs:) Good luck to you and God Bless.





*Btw I am only 26.|||I think you could try both, but I think the best option is maybe the living will, because you can have your personal items and what not in care to the people who know you best, and sometimes the law doesn't always respect what the living know about certain things. Maybe because it wasn't written it isn't valid.





You could also try a written will, I'm not sure what that goes under. Give a copy to your attorney and to your spouse maybe and also keep one in a safety deposit box.

No comments:

Post a Comment