Friday, September 23, 2011

I am 19 and under my parent's health insurance, if i have a child will they be covered under my parents?

I am only 19, a college student, and not married and under my dad's health plan. If I have a child, would I have to find other insurance or would my dad's heath plan still cover me and my child?|||No, the child would not be covered under your parents coverage unless they adopt it.|||No. Though you may be eligible to remain on a parent鈥檚 plan until age 26, they cannot add a grandchild to their policy unless they were to adopt the child legally. There are other options, however. Depending on the state in which you live, there may be an eligibility period when a newborn can be enrolled on an individual health insurance plan of his or her own. Talk with a licensed health insurance agent (online or off) to find out what鈥檚 available in your area. It doesn鈥檛 cost anything extra to work through an agent.





The new baby may also qualify for public assistance. I鈥檇 recommend contacting the non-profit Foundation for Health Coverage Education (coverageforall.org) to find out what government options are available in your area.|||I wish people would understand once and for all you do NOT have to be a student to be covered under your parents health insurance, you CAN be married, you CAN live on your own. But it does not cover any children or husband. You have to buy insurance for the child. Why do people keep mentioning they are college students when that is completely irrelevant to health insurance.|||Both you and your child will need to find other insurance. Your parent's policy will not cover the child and you can no longer get insurance just for kids under 19 without a parent also being on the policy.|||No. Your parent cannot add a GRANDCHILD to their policy, only a child. YOU, their child, can still be covered. A GRANDCHILD cannot be covered.





Consider adoption.|||Usually not the child - although your prenatal care and delivery would be covered. However, only your parents can confirm the exact coverage of their group plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment