Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Can my wife and I each have an FSA and HSA with a child and two separate health insurance policies?

I am married and my wife and I have health insurance separately through our respective employers. My plan is a copay plan with an FSA. Hers is a high deductible plan with an HSA. We have a baby due on January 10th and will put the baby on her insurance policy. Can we keep both her HSA and my FSA, or do we need to get rid of one, and if so, when? Can we finish out the year, or does it stop immediately?|||As long as she is only depositing the amount for an individual now then you're fine. Once the baby is born she can deposit the entire family amount into the HSA. What she has doesn't affect you and vice versa. However, she CAN use her HSA funds for your medical care. Once the baby is born you're better off fully funding the HSA rather than the FSA unless you're doing more than the ~$6000.

No comments:

Post a Comment